HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:57:53 -0400
Also, I recall, in "The Clarion" the publication of the Suffolk County
History Museum, in Riverhead, NY on Long Island, it is reported that
the "Luce Landing" on the north shore in the Long Island Sound, is
named after the landing of the original surveyor of Martha's Vineyard,
somebody Luce. I was researching the properties between it and the
former "to be" location of a r.o.w. for the proposed Jamesport nuclear
power generating plant, now partly a park, the property I researched
town houses, next to a wonderful perhaps glacial "keetle-hole" once
exposed to higher water, between the then proposed development and
Luce Landing.

The gentleman I did the survey with, lives at the Blydenburgh Park,
part of an old industrial site of two or three mills, that became the
"Weld Estate". I am given to understand, that the former Governor of
Massachusetts, who gave up his governorship to become the US
Ambassador to Mexico under President Clinton, though never confirmed
by the US Senate, and currently running for Governor of New York
State, grew up at the former "Weld Estate" I used to camp at, and
archaeologist Edward Johanneman, MA once had a lab and office at.
Currently, historical archaeology is taught there for school children.

The Luce family became important in the 20th century publishing "Look"
magazine (and others) where Stanley Kubrick of the Bronx later famous
director of many films, "2001" and ephemeral associated with it's
creation, just on exhibit in Germany. He was at "Look" the youngest
photographer hired I think, at 16.

George Myers