HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:11:11 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sep 18, 2005 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: Writing on Walls and pull tabs
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

It appears to have been named by Bartholowmew Gosold's " also credited
with naming Cape Cod after the fish that he found there and Martha's
Vineyard, the island off the southern Cape coast, in remembrance of
his daughter, who died in infancy." (according to
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1578121,00.html ) though
another map I once viewed, oddly had it as "Martin's Vineyard" which
would be interesting too. if true, as in "Martin's one hundred". I
think it was an error on a map, which makes it hard to track down.

It, being also part later of the Duke of York's holdings (along with
Maine as in once was Massachusetts and to York and Pemaquid, Maine and
New York as in including the islands between it and the Cape Cod, I
think) I recommend a book I have as it is a report of the New York
Regents of the University (part of the Dept. of Education) on the
boundaries of New York State as ordered by NY's Senate submitted to
that body on May 28, 1873.

It contains copies of original documents that describes "The original
territorial extent of the provinces of New Netherland and New York,
and the successive steps by which the State of New York was reduced to
its present limits." (p. 5) However it starts with a document of 1614
as a report of a "Resolution of the States General [of  the United
Netherlands] on the Report of the Discovery of New Netherland"
Saturday, the 11th October, 1614.

So if Bartholomew Gosnold discovered Martha's Vineyard before the
United Company of Merchants [of Holland] there is an interesting
conflict right from the beginning.

George Myers
(not the opinion of my State which also has an evolution)