HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 14:28:29 -0500
From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Hi,
First, the usual apologies for cross posting...you may get this on other listservs too.

Following is an announcement for a proposed session at SHA... if interested, please reply to either Jim Gibb or me (I'm cc'ing him on this so you will have his address, but this message is from both of us).

Evaluation of Public Archaeology: Principles, not Protocols
Organizer: James G. Gibb
Co-organizer: Carol McDavid
While there has been some disciplinary attention to the need to evaluate public archaeology activities, for the most part these have been aimed at developing rules and "do's and don'ts", rather than examining the principles that underlie the development of public programs. This session aims to do that -- to identify the considerations which come into play when undertaking an "evaluation", and to examine what happens if these considerations come into conflict with either inside or outside interests. As such, this session will foster discussion of the ethics of public archaeology work as well as to provide some frameworks for context-sensitive approaches.

Thanks,
Carol McDavid (and Jim Gibb)

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
1638 Branard