HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2007 09:18:39 -0700
From:
Paul Scotton <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
I should have been a little clearer.  My service was
during the Vietnam era, the records of which are
supposedly gone.  I know the VA and the military are two
separate data depots but I wonder how much service info is
recoverable from the VA files.  They don't hand out aid
and treatment without documentation.

Paul

On Mon, 28 May 2007 11:46:38 -0400
  Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In a message dated 5/28/2007 6:43:31 A.M. Pacific
>Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> VA  computer theft occurred last year,
> they were able to notify me and  millions of others via
> direct mail that our personal info may have been
> compromised.
>

> One wonders where this information came from and how far
>back in time. Many
> veterans from World War II, Korea, Viet Nam, Grenada,
>Gulf War, Iraq and
> general  service contact the VA for benefits. Even
>though my father's records of
> his  infantry experience in France and the Battle of the
>Bulge burned at the
> National  Archives, he applied for and received medical
>assistance at the VA. I
> think it  is safe to say the VA records contain
>different kinds of information
> than the  Army Records Center and National Archives. But
>hey, maybe all the VA
> stuff ought  to go online too?
>
> Ron May
> Legacy 106, Inc.

>at http://www.aol.com.

Paul D. Scotton
Associate Professor of Classical Archaeology and Classics
Classics
California State University
1250 N. Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840-2404