HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:34:39 -0800
From:
Paul Scotton <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
What we have done in Corinth is multiple copies of paper
documents stored in mulitiple place.  The original field
notebooks, drawings and inventory cards were all copied to
microfilm some years ago with one copy stored in Greece
and another in the States.  We have now begun making
digital copies of everything on multiple backup sysytems
with not only an eye towards conservation but also to
facilitate research.  That goal is that a researcher will
be able to call up a field notebook, check the museum
inventory entries, view individual artifacts, identify
findspots on the site plan, etc. etc. all from her office
computer in Melbourne.

Paul

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 04:04:53 -0500
  Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Brad and I are talking about how to get copies without
>destroying the
> 80-year old plans. Paul has given me great suggestions
>as to where to seek help,  as
> has Roberta S. Greenwood. My primary concern right now
>is getting the plans
> flattened out without breaking down the paper, so will
>be looking into paper
> conservators. I probably will drive up to Brad's office
>at North County
> Blueprint for his opinion. At least a plan is taking
>shape.
>
> While finding a cache of Frank O. Wells plans is very
>exciting, it reminds
> me of all the field maps I prepared over the years that
>probably have also
> turned yellow from contact with acidic paper. All our
>photographic prints, field
> maps, field notes, lab drawings, data cards etc. are
>subject to light-fade,
> acid  deterioration, insect eating, dust wear, and decay
>over time.
> Archaeologists  sometimes laugh that their artifacts are
>stone and will last forever, but
> their  catalog numbers, bags, and boxes will not. The
>artifact becomes just
> another  rock with all the provenience lost in a
>century. Cheery thought, I
> know, but  something we all need to think about.
>
> And, I am very leery of scanned images surviving long
>into the future.  There
> is nothing as good as the original document. We have
>already discussed the
> deterioration of CD, tape, video, and microfilm on
>HISTARCH. What kind of
> machinery will be around in 100-years that can read an
>image scanned in  2006?
>
> Ron May
> Legacy 106, Inc.

Paul D. Scotton
Associate Professor of Classical Archaeology
Classics
California State University
1250 N. Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840-2404