HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:37:00 -0400
From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Adrian/Julia: Are these issues available online somewhere? I didn't find
them on the Society for California Archaeology website.

Cultural Resource Analysts, Inc. has developed a discard strategy for high
volume artifact classes that is discussed in a paper on their website.
Here's the link.
http://crai-ky.com/education/reports/discarding.html

It's a controversial subject (and that is an understatement). The subject
surfaces fairly often in Kentucky but there is no consensus about it. As a
museum curator as well as an archaeologist, I don't have any problem with
discarding or not collecting or just collecting a sample of common,
nondiagnostic, high-volume artifact classes, but I think the decision to do
so ought to be part of the research design for each project--subject to
modification if need be as the project progresses. Some artifact classes
could be routinely subject to a fairly high discard rate but there may be
cases when their discard would not be recommended. I'm reminded of what
Alexander Dumas said, "All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
On the other hand, if we keep everything we bring in from the field even
when it is apparent that its informational value is virtually nil or our
sample is way more than is needed to draw useful/insightful conclusions,
then the future of museum space and resources looks bleak indeed. I am a
big fan of "observed (and quantified/measured/whatever if warranted) but
not collected" for some categories. Careful sampling gets my vote, too. And
I have discarded stuff too (but what I throw out is noted and included
among my analytical notes).

Like any policy, a blanket discard policy can be abused. A more complicated
one may prevent discard where it is not justifiable but may not be used
because it is too confusing. Or misused with the best of intentions. But
ignoring the problem just accelerates the inevitable. And this isn't just
about historic artifacts although they get all the heat. How many tens of
thousands pieces of lithic debitage do we need to keep? Or all that fire
cracked rock?

Back to lurker land.

Nancy O'Malley
Assistant Director