From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 23:09:12 -0000
Chris wrote
> Nevertheless there is evidence that bees become accustomed to and thrive
> better in conditions to which, as a colony, they have been bred. The late
> Professor Len Heath kept bees on the high moorland of Dartmoor (SW UK) and
> also  on
> lower ground nearer the coast of Plymouth. He reported that bees moved
> from
> one location another didn't do as well as those that were already there.

Presumably Len was moving colonies up on to the heather from the coast.  As
there is always some loss of adult bees resulting from a move, I would
expect that those colonies would not do as well as those that had not been
moved, especially given the unpredictability of when heather will yield and
that colonies would have little time to recover from the move, as they are
usually on the moor for only perhaps 4-6 weeks at the most.

I have been taking bees to the moors for 25 years and, except for one year,
those colonies have always been the best in the following spring, probably
because the late nectar flow produces plenty of young bees for the winter
and the honey stored from the heather is particularly rich in proteins from
the pollen.   I suspect that if Len was moving colonies from the coast up on
to the moor for the heather, then those colonies would have benefitted from
the move and been good for the following spring, regardless of their
performance on the heather versus the high moorland resident colonies.

Best wishes

Peter Edwards
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/