ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:53:22 -0500

Yes, I thought of the issue of the cheap goods that we buy that don't last
long, but that we depend on when yesterday my telephone (landline) started
dieing. My first thought was, I haven't had it THAT long, second thought was
time to get a new one(actually set of two, one for upstairs, the other for
downstairs) and then I thought of the green conversation on this list and
realized that is another key component- all of the cheap things that I see
at the Dollar Store and even over packaged products in the department stores
and grocery stores.  I don't shop at Wal Mart but I do get cheap things
sometimes such as a phones.  These came from Radio Shack. Sometimes I buy
things with too much packaging but I do compost and reuse plastic containers
several times before recycling them.  We eat low on the food chain so I
would say we are moderate greenies. I loved Al Gore's movie and I am excited
that finally this conversation is more mainstream than in the past. I think
that every day I hear conversations or references to something having to do
with living greener (even if it is people complaining about the cost of gas)
and it is also evidenced by the flood of conversation here.  I think we are
on the brink of major changes because of technology. It starts with
awareness and conversations.  Actions that are practical might come after a
few "experiments" but it creates the climate for creativity and innovation,
which is what gets me excited.  I don't think we need to worry about how
impractical the ideas are or how silly they might sound.  If we worried
about those things then we wouldn't have the great inventions and advances
that we have today. Who knows?...
Evanna Morris,
Lancaster Science Factory