ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Natasha Aristov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 20:53:45 +0100

I agree with everything that's been said on the topic of being green
on this list so far.  I live pretty green -- one reason for my
staying in Germany longer than the original planned one or two years
(it's been 17 now, total) is the fact that it's much easier to leave
a much smaller environmental footprint in this particular
society.  But that's not my main point at the moment.

Another aspect of this problem, and one well worth examining in an
informal education setting, is the dependence of much of the world's
economies on our (US and Europeans) consumption habits.

It's not just a simple issue of not buying what you don't need, it's
also an issue of finding ways of raising the standards of living in
the developing world without resorting to producing short-lived goods.

And not just that!  What are we going to do with the folks who run
the stores that sell us the goods?  The folks who are building and
maintaining the shopping malls?

Yeah, OK.  We finally DO rebuild the railroads.  What do we do once
the railroads are finished?  I can think of any number of public
works projects -- there are enough "bad" neighborhoods to fix up and
certainly other messes to clean -- but these would be more or less
all government sponsored or government initiated projects (that's ok
with ME, I'm a Commie (well, kind of rosy pink), but not with the most of us).

I think that presenting the intricacies of the global environmental
issues and the global economic issues would make for a  pretty
interesting -- pretty darn complicated!! -- undertaking.

In the meantime, let us, in fact, DO consume less -- there are still
enough people out there who "NEED" another electronic toy to feed
quite a few workers of the world.

Natasha Aristov
PH Ludwigsburg
Germany