From:
"Leslie J. Huston" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 08:33:11 -0400
Five hours cooped up is no problem, since as you say they will be in the
SHADE and supervised.  I don't even fill the feeder for a one day event.
Pull a frame that has some open nectar on it and they'll be fine.  If
you can pull one that has some honey and some brood it makes for a great
presentation - the different contents can be showcased.  I bring along a
squirt bottle of sugar syrup and squirt/dribble some in through one of
the vent holes on the top.  It runs down the glass and when the bees
find it they mop it up - much fun to watch.

Whether the queen makes the road trip or stays behind in the parent hive
(I've done it both ways), as long as you return the frame to the hive
that same evening or the next morning (if it's too dark when returning),
all is fine.  Everybody will mingle peaceably, and there won't be any
free comb impinging the returning frame.

Oh, you get demerits for having bees pinned (alive or dead) between the
comb and the glass ... it's a sad thing to look at all day.  So try to
pull a frame with comb that isn't "fat" and then be careful when you
place it in the hive.

I saw Jim Hock's comment about testing ahead of time to be sure the hive
is bee-tight, which reminds me: have a garbage bag on hand that can
contain the hive.  In the off chance that the hive *develops* a "bee
leak" you can throw the bag over the whole thing and get it outta there.

Have fun!!!

- Leslie
Newtown, CT