ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 18:12:20 -0500

>  As centers for science education, shouldn't we come clean about the
atheism inherent in science?

As you see by the various responses, "No."
Actually not just many scientists, but science itself is mute on the subject
of "God working through nature," or of "God making up the original laws."
All that science says, is if there is a god, then that God must be working
in such a consistent way that the equations *are* accurate.  This may
eliminate God's free reign, but it does not mean there can not be a god.

Look at your own terminology: you say that "science remains safely
atheistic" Doesn't this suggest that you do have an agenda in your own
thinking (the 'safety' of atheism)?  In reality we all have agendas, so you
have rightly disclosed yours.

Interestingly enough, some people think that God works within the chaotic
probabilities of Quantum mechanics.  Then these small "chances" could give
rise to the realm in which either God or free will could work.  Yet Feynman
(an atheist), rightly points out that in a practical manner, that isn't even
required for God or for freedom of choice (it's in his lectures on quantum
if I remember correctly).

Remember, science *never* concluded that supernatural entities didn't exist
-at least not anywhere that I've seen.  Now if they do exist, then their
very existence does not destroy science either.  If proof of a supernatural
entity was found, then I believe science would attempt to classify and
quantify these supernatural entities and to use experiment to come up with
the rules governing these entities as well.

The brilliance of science is its self correcting nature, let's not try to
restrict it by our beliefs and perhaps by our own definitions of what is or
is not a part of science.

-William "the rambling" Katzman

William Katzman			[log in to unmask]
Director of Exhibits			(828) 322-8169 x307
Catawba Science Center		(828) 322-1585 (fax)
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather to become a man of value"
-A. Einstein