ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Shirley Chan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:38:34 -0400

This thread continues to be interesting and entertaining.

RE: the symbolic icon and dress code:
I understand the comments but I don't quite understand the need.  The
occupation/profession of scientist is very diverse.  An archaeologist in
the field uses different tools, skills etc. than a molecular biologist
at the bench.  Yet they're both scientists.  Being a scientists is more
than knowing how to dig a hole or pipette liquids into a tube (and
having worked with a number of interns, trust me on that last one!).
It's a way of thinking, a way of looking at the world.  Scientists are
people too and whether "they" accept you into the tribe won't be
dependent on your dress code.  I'm sure you can all think of people who
have less than hygienic practices and are still well-thought of in the
field.  Failing 60% of the non-engineering students in that physics
class regardless of their effort/grade is not initiation, it is poor
judgment and should be reported to the University Ombudsman and the
various department heads.

RE: perpetuating the myth:
PR and media types have a job to do, same as the rest of us.  And while
they may despair as they look around at a beige and white lab space with
bland-colored liquids (I kept a awesome orange mold growing in LB once
for a long time, but never had the opportunity to use it), so what?
This is real science at work.  Real materials, real sweat.  It's one
thing to set up lighting and choose props but why fake it?  Why have the
PI use a microscope that he probably didn't even know was in his lab and
obviously doesn't know how to use?  Why use colored water in tubes that
are totally meaningless?  You may as well use blood for all the good
that does.  Blue-glows and enhanced images are exactly that, fake,
enhanced.   I don't think it gives the public a better understanding or
appreciation of science and I don't understand why we who are supposed
to be science communicators put up with it.  PR is public relations,
they're supposed to be profiling YOU, your science, your work.  Do you
really want/agree to such fake perceptions?  Spend the time, at least
try to educate the reporters and PR types.  Yes, I know you've probably
done it a hundred times and they still get it wrong.  Well, that's what
happens when you get junior reporters who failed high school science
covering a science story.  Still, does that mean you should give up?
Don't help perpetuate the myth.  For that matter, why call it a "Mad
Scientist" show?  Do you know any "Mad Scientists"?  If you're worried
about giving people the wrong impression then why help maintain it?

And I'll stop now, the soapbox is full.  :-)

Regards,
Shirley

--
Shirley Chan, Ph.D.