ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Richard O. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:04:22 -0700

Re: depicting science:

If you haven't done this exercise before, you might enjoy trying this
activity before reading on:
http://www.the-aps.org/education/2006rts/pdf/Draw_a_Scientist_handout.pdf
(Or simply imagine and draw a picture of a scientist doing science.)

This is the classic "Draw-A-Scientist-Test" (DAST), originally developed by
anthropologists Margaret Mead and Rhoda Metraux in 1957.  It's been widely
used since then to track public perceptions of scientists over time, and
across different ages, ethnicities and nationalities.  The consistent
finding is that people asked to "Draw a picture of a scientist doing
science" typically produce stereotyped drawings of a socially awkward,
bearded old white man in a lab coat, with accessories such as beakers and
equation-covered chalkboards.  (Picture the scientists in Gary Larson's Far
Side.)   But it's a matter of debate how much that stereotype really
affects public perception of science, or the likelihood of choosing science
as a career.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used the DAST as an activity in a
science center.

The test linked above comes from the website of the American Physiological
Society, which also offers this scoresheet:
http://www.the-aps.org/education/2006rts/pdf/DASTRatingRubric.pdf

There was an interesting discussion of DAST and other measures of public
perception of scientists in the NSF's Science and Engineering Indicators
2002
(<http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind02/c7/c7s3.htm>http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind02/c7/c7s3.htm).

Oddly and peculiarly yours,
Richard

Richard O. Brown, PhD
Staff Neuroscientist / Exhibit and Project Developer
The Exploratorium
3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123-1099

(415) 353-0483