ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:58:37 -0400

Voting exhibitions are often tricky, largely because of the "noise" -
people putting in fake data just for the heck of it.  Some exhibits
have a histogram show up, others raw numbers or pie charts on a
screen.  All pretty boring.  I like your idea of the coins, it is a
physical representation, very "real" for visitors.
Beryl
On Jul 4, 2006, at 12:47 PM, Cari Dwyer wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
> *******
>
> I am trying to come up with a list of possible techniques for two
> interactives, and hope the ISEN brain trust can help.
>
> 1) What’s the best reveal technique you’ve seen, or can imagine? We
> want
> visitors to see an unfamiliar term, then do something that reveals an
> image which illustrates what the definition is. Possibilities include:
>
> a) pressing a button to reveal an illuminated image
> b) a spinner with the word on one side, and the illustration on the
> other
> c) a wall of small, hinged doors or flips with the word printed on the
> outside, which visitors lift to reveal the illustration
> d) a slider visitors move to change the graphic surface from one that
> shows the word, to one that shows the illustration
>
> What other reveal techniques have you seen that engage visitors?
>
> 2)  We are also looking for the best way to give visitors a chance
> to vote
> for one of ten choices, and let them see how previous visitors have
> voted.
> Have you ever seen a fun way to let visitors cast a vote and see a
> physical measure of the results? (For example, visitors could drop
> a coin
> into the fear slot they wanted to vote for. The coin rolls around
> before
> it drops into one of the top 10 fear tubes. Visitors can see how their
> vote compares with previous visitors who have cast their votes.)
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you have, and would be happy to
> compile and share a list of techniques I receive to anyone who is
> interested. I look forward to hearing your ideas.
>
> Thanks so much for your time,
> Cari Dwyer
> Exhibit Developer
> Science Museum of Minnesota