HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:51:21 EST
I heard from several people over the years that Robert Heizer,University of
California, often said at the end of his career that "California archaeology
has  been sucked dry as an orange" implying that he had learned all there is to
 learn.

On the other hand, Emma Lou Davis, would often follow up her current
synthesis of desert or coastal archaeology with the comment, "whatever that  means,"
implying the syntheses proposed by people like Heizer are always subject  to
challenge and testing and revision.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 1/29/2009 6:16:43 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,