HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Hank D. Lutton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:28:21 -0400
I am not certain about the role of General Pershing, Major George S.
Patton and General Douglas MacArthur played crucial roles in the
dispersal of the Bonus Army and the torching of their encampment along
the banks of the Anacostia River in 1932. While President Hoover and
General Eisenhower urged restraint, MacArthur was convinced that
Communists had infiltrated the Bonus Army, and fully exercised his
prerogative as commander. In the aftermath, someone snapped a famous
photograph of MacArthur and Patton in jodhpurs wipping their foreheads
after a tough day of smacking unemployed veterans with the flats of
their cavalry sabers. While I am unaware of archaeological evidence of
the Anacostia encampment there is a surprising amount of photographic
and documentary data for the regulation of the encampment, especially
organization and sanitation. Paul Dickson and Thomas B. Allen recently
wrote "The Bonus Army: An American Epic" and their bibliography cites
many of the sources.

Hank D. Lutton