HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Richard W. Galloway" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard W. Galloway
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:41:38 -0800
From the information given, this is speculation on my part, but I would be
looking upslope from the structure for footings that would have allowed a
building to be put there, allowing level construction or perhaps a platform
that extended out over the mine shaft for pulling up men and materials. Is
there any evidence of wood in the bottom of the structure? To me that looks
like a support structure that was used for building or framework associated
with the shaft. With the walls as thick as they are, it was probably for
something more substantial than just containment.
I am probably way off base, but that is what I would start trying to verify
is that was a site I was working.

Cordially:

Richard W. Galloway
Archaeological Technician-USFWS
Anthropology Grad Student-University of Alaska, Anchorage
"Honor the past, Live in the present, Create the future." Anonymous