HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:09:25 -0400
Carol,
I am not willing to join archeoseek at the moment, but if you want to email
me a couple photographs, I am a conservator who works on mostly early
polymer materials and some later ones and I could take a look to see if
anything rings a bell. I am always curious about the varying plastics and
their state of preservation from excavations, as there is not much research
into their degradation-being so "modern" and all.  I am not sure of the date
of your site, context, feature or strata--sorry, I wasn't following all
this, but that should give you an idea of whether or not you have
"rubberized" cloth which can date as early as 1842 and thereabouts. It was
used extensively in the civil war and was marked and painted often.

Best,
Lisa Young
Alexandria Conservation Services,ltd.