HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"paul.courtney2" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:38:19 +0100
I imagine their are not great differences in material culture of
immigrants and locals. Immigrants in England are likely to have used
locally produced consumer goods and we rarely get good enough
archaeology to see how they might have differently manipulated material
culture which is probably the way forward.  I think one of the glass
making sites associated with Lorrainer immigrants produced  a pot which
has been interpreted as  a possible heirloom- but I forget which. I
think it was in David Gaimster's recent paper in SPMA on Werra ware. In
many towns it is very difficult to tie down individual households with
documents and one has major problem with sub-tenanting. The unpublished
excavations of the Jewish quarter in Amsterdam are exceptional. Also as
Geoff notes much of our urban archaeology is very mixed up when you
might have occupation from the 10th century to modern. I am sure  we
will produce more as more excavation is done in suburbs than
Roman/medieval town cores. However, whether the necessary documentary
research will be done is increasingly unlikely due to pressures of
competitive tendering. As for rural sites there has been very little
work on this aspect in Europe with exception of Sweden and Mediterranean
surveys never mind the few Huguenot settlements. In France there are
plenty of surviving protestant churches especially in areas like
Saintonge and some recording work has been done on them as standing
buildings. There has been and is a lot of historical research - and
there is a Huguenot society in Uk which has published a lot of primary
documents eg church registers.   http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk
Chris King who did his PhD on Norwich housing  has just got a 3 year
fellowship to study the Dutch and their housing UK at Leicester University

paul