HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:24:56 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/2007 1:47:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I was  wondering if anyone knew of any literature (grey or otherwise)
that I could  obtain dealing with archaeological investigations of
Huguenot settlements  in North America.  I was reading some historical
literature concerning  Manakintowne (now Manakin) in Powhatan County, VA
recently and wondered  what archaeology had been done in that location as
well as in other  Huguenot settlements along the East Coast

I am making this  request for my own information as some of my ancestors
seemed to have  settled in Manakintowne and am interested to learn more
about the  particulars of the material culture/lifeways of these people
during the  late 17th and early 18th centuries.

Thanks in  advance,

Ellen Shlasko did her dissertation (Yale) on Huguenots on the Santee River
near Charleston SC, and I have done work at the John de la Howe site in the New
 Bordeaux, SC township (in Another's Country, ed by Joseph and Zierden,
Univ. of Alabama Press). The Santee settlers came over in the 1680s, while the
New Bordeaux folk arrived around 1765.