HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Webb, Paul (Chapel Hill,NC-US)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:03:09 -0400
There was a newspaper story a few years ago about someone's attempt to identify the site of Jack and Jill's escapades based on historic maps that showed a well on a hill near a village somewhere in England, and the presence of a large number of people surnamed Jillson in the village.

 I don't remember details, and can't find it in a quick Google search, but if I remember right, the writer made the argument that wells were very rarely on hills at the time.