HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Davis, Daniel (KYTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:48:30 -0500
Because of the great distance and the resolution of the human eye, I
don't think any built structures are visible from the moon. These days,
the Great Walls of China (after all, there were a number of them) blend
into the surrounding scenery so well that you can't even spot them using
Google earth. What you can see from space (but usually no higher than
about 350 miles or so) are strip-mined areas, such as we have here in
Kentucky, and large swatches of deforestation, especially in the Amazon
River basin. At present, the most visible mark of humans to someone in
orbit (provided we discount the illuminations of cities at night) would
be a certain predilection for very large scale destruction. It's easier
to tell what we've destroyed (or economically altered, depending on your
point of view), as opposed to what we've built. I can only assume that
large-scale deforestations from the late 1800s and early 1900s would
also have been visible from space. That might be an interesting
historical archaeology topic - "Historic Instances of Large Scale
Disturbances Visible From Space, ca. 1800-1900".

Daniel B. Davis
Archaeologist Coordinator
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Division of Environmental Analysis