HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 14:17:04 -0500

In a message dated 2/6/2007 10:18:24 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

http://www.stanford.edu/~cengel/SJCT/2007/01/28-week/

Barb,

The patterns are not as interesting to me as the shape and biscuit ring of
the Celadown shallow bowl. My crew excavated a Chinese fishing camp at Ballast
Point (CA-SDI-12,953) and recovered a shallower blue-glaze bowl with a
biscuit  ring. Since this was the only bowl of this shape and color, we considered
it an  heirloom brought to the site as individual property of one of the fisher
folk.  Research shows similar shallow bowls with the biscuit ring from
various  locations in Southeast Asia and some date back to the 16th century (perhaps
 earlier), as well as up to the 19th century. Although Bobby Greenwood
examined  our shallow bowl, I do not recall any special comment that could help you
with  your specimen. I have also seen Ming Period shallow bowls that exhibit
the  biscuit ring and suspect it serves some function that is such common
knowledge  in Asia that no one gives a thought to explaining it to Westerners.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.