HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 20:04:29 -0400
Slag is at least as important as debitage, cores, and preforms are on
a prehistoric site. Until the advent of modern metallurgy the slag
(late 1800s) was the only way most metallurgical processes could be
controlled. Most of the "ore" ended up in the slag, with only the
primary metal and some other elements making it into the finished
product. This is  especially true before hot blast was introduced in
the US around 1840 (iron industry). Most of the information available
about a metallurgical process is in the slag rather than the metal.
Which is why most archaeologists don't do slag analysis... ?

After 1900 the controls on furnaces become increasingly complex and
more and more real time. Now the computer controls and sensors allow
real time information on exactly what is going on inside a furnace. I
doubt that there are very many people alive that can tell you much
about slag that worked in the industry on the floor (but I could be
wrong). Starting in the late 19C most iron/steel firms hired
metallurgists and established labs.

If you haven't read Bob Gordon's American Iron you should. If you
don't have a copy of John Percy (1864) you need to find one. And if
you really want to understand what is going on at your site you
probably ought to hire an archaeometallurgist to do some analysis
(Tim probably knows some good ones in the US, I worked primarily with
English universities, they did the analysis for my MA for free).
There are some references on slag including:

Verein Deutscher Eisenhüttenleute (ed.)
     1981               Schlackenatlas. Verlag Stahleisen MBH.,
Düsseldorf.

Tim and others that have dealt with newer plants can probably suggest
other references. My study has been primarily with the colonial iron
industry.

James Brothers, RPA