HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 17:42:54 -0400
Karl Gurcke authored a book about bricks, in which he treats fire brick.  The
yellow-tan brick does not melt in the fireplace fires and often resists
industrial furnace temperatures. Just yesterday, I saw a group of really odd
shapes lining a 1908 garden at the U.S. Navy Fuel Farm in San Diego. Those were
specially-made for some sort of pipe structure. The earliest were made in other
 countries, but by the end of the 19th century, American factories produced
fire  brick. The Los Angeles Pressed Brick factory produced much of what is
seen in  southern California fireplaces. But I expect local factories could be
found  across America by the 1920s.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.