HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:42:29 -0400
Dear All,
   I was looking through the Histarch archives today, for references to
archaeological work done at houses that were part of the UGRR. There
were a few posts from nearly 9 years ago asking about this, so I
thought I would re-kindle the question (without necessarily re-kindling
the debate about the validity of this kind of research).

I am working with a group that is investigating a ca 1850 hose in Ohio
that has ties to the UGRR. I hopefully will be conducting some excavations
there next year. I would like to see of anyone has ever worked at such a
house, or has any references to archaeological work carried out at houses
with the UGRR connection. I realize that finding evidence of freedom
seekers is challenging, given the ephemeral nature of their occupation at
any one place.  But there is still much we can learn about the people who
built and lived in the house, help piece together the lives of those who
helped with the UGRR, and possibly find evidence of the fugitives who
stayed there on their way North.

Thanks in advance for your help with this, feel free to reply on- or
off-list.

Beth Hoag, RPA
Cuyahoga Community College
Cleveland OH