HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Efstathios I. Pappas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:16:48 -0400
Would it be possible to provide a photograph of the object in question?
  I have done a number of heavy equipment moves as part of my focus in
industrial archaeology, some of which reaching over 4 tons, with no
damage.  I am sure there is a method which would work in this case.  My
suggestion without having seen the item would be to lift it and place
it on skids so that it can be pulled across the road.  A small skid
sled can be easily constructed of 4x6 timbers with rounded edges on the
ends.  If one could lift the item using hydralic bottle jacks acting on
beams which could be slid underneath the item, that would probably be
best.  Hydralic jacks are easy to control, operate smoothly, and can be
lowered slowly.  By using a number of beams it increases the surface
area and limits the amount of force being vectored to any one place.
Lift it as little as possible, thus it has less distance to fall if
something goes wrong.  This is why using skids is preferable as it
provides a supporting framework that is only about 8 inches off the
ground.  There is usually a desire to get the front end loader, chain
the item to the bucket, and lift but I have found this method to be
difficult to control unless the operator is highly skilled (I certainly
am not!  Don't ask me how I know...).  The rule of thumb for all heavy
moves is act slowly and with deliberation, and always keep a way out so
it doesn't fall on you.  If you have any other questions by all means
let me know.

Regards,

Stathi Pappas

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS