HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Robert Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:27:01 -0800
A few years ago, I had a spirited debate with an English representative
of the Spode Company (and a collector of 19th century Spode) about the
use of the term Queensware on the Hudson's Bay Company inventories at
Fort Vancouver. From the ca. 1829-1860 period, HBC clerk's recorded the
ceramics as either "E'ware" (earthenware) or as "Queensware". He
pointed out that properly, "Queensware" was produced by Wedgwood, due
to the honours bestowed upon him by Queen Charlotte (as pointed out
below). This gentleman was quite confused by the HBC clerks referring
to Spode as "Queensware." The HBC had a nearly monopolistic contract
with the Spode (Copeland & Garrett and W.T. Copeland firms) between ca.
1836-1847, so it is safe to assume that the clerks were not referring
to Wedgwood.

Additionally, the archaeological evidence confirms the near lack of
Wedgwood transfer printed wares at the site, and the near ubiquitous
presence of Spode transfer printed wares. It would seem that this
further confirms George Miller's observation that the term Queensware
was used as a generic term for earthenwares during the early to mid
19th century period, even by "proper" English clerks of the Honourable
Company itself.

Robert Cromwell, Ph.D.
Archaeologist
Fort Vancouver National Historic Site