HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"William B. Liebeknecht" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:21:56 -0500
Jane,

Having worked in the northeast for over 20 years and on many urban projects
I understand your situation and Ron's concerns.  The reality of the
situation is that you have to get the most out of the site within the time
and budget you have to work within.  There has been some great pieces of
work conducted by archaeologists over the years using backhoes (Ed Rutsch in
New York, John Milner Associates in Philadelphia to name a few). Although
backhoes are large pieces of machinery they can be very effective tools in
the hands of a good operator guided by an experienced archaeologist.  We
typically excavate a portion of the properties with smaller block style
open-area excavations down to sterile soils followed by stripping to expose
trash pits (which are typically single episode events) and shafts (privies,
well and cistern).  You also tend to pick up drainage features in this
manner.  At this point the safest way to excavate shaft features is by
excavating a sloped (using OSHA standards) trench along the outside of the
shaft.  As the trench get deeper you simply dismantle one side and reveal
the straticgraphic profile removing contexts by last in first out principles
(take soil samples for flotation).  This method allows sunlight to give you
a much better picture of the deposits.  Many of these shafts were
periodically cleaned and filled quickly in response to local ordinances when
city sewer and water were connected.  The major fill episodes can be very
informative and sometimes you get substantial deposits in the lower portions
of the shafts where the honey dippers could not or did not reach.  These
lower deposits will date to earlier occupations and reveal a different
picture of the former residence such as different ethnicity especially with
tenants.

Bill Liebeknecht MA
Principal Investigator
Hunter Research, Inc.