HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:31:08 -0600
Laura,

I've recently been puzzling over a set of similar shaped features in a
pasture - however it is the field closet to a large farm/plantation house.
We have not excavated ours; we've just observed them from the top and done
some documentary research.

In our case, we have a series of them in line and they are about the size of
a grave.  Some appear to be lined with brick, some with an early cement,
others appear to be just burned earth.  I've also have a photograph from the
same family showing a line of rectangular BBQ pits in use (during a big
family gathering or a 4th of July picnic -type event)circa 1890.
Unfortunately, I can't tell if the photograph is of the same location.

Of course, I live in an area that has a very strong BBQ tradition, and many
"old-timers" are willing to share their individual tips on constructing
their favorite in-ground BBQ.   So you might consider the BBQ pit, a
hypothesis to test against the evidence.  Anyway, it is a possibility to
consider.  Please send me your photos

Also, has anyone on this listserve excavated identifiable BBQ pits, who is
willing to share their evidence.

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba Archaeological Site