HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:41:11 +1000
> I am sure everyone doing archaeology around 1880s to 1930s has at one time or
> another run into the hotelware rim designs of handpainted "red line - green
> band - red line", and/or its alter ego "green line - red band - green line".
> Somewhere I read that "everyone made these patterns."

<snip>

> 1.  What other manufacturers have you all seen with these treatments?
>
> 2.  Have you noticed if one version always seems to have an earthenware body
> and the other is vitrified?

In my experience, there's no correlation between banded rim colours - or order
of colours - and degree of body vitrification on British, Australian, or
mid-Atlantic US sites.

I won't rule out the possibility that someone's done a study to show that such a
correlation - and a preference for specific colours or colour orders - exists
with individual manufacturers.  However, the overwhelming majority of banded
vessels that I've encountered archaeologically are unmarked, making attribution
to specific factories virtually impossible.  And yes, an awful lot of factories
seem to have been churning this stuff out.

I will add the caveat that it's been nearly ten years since I last worked in the
United States, so the opinions expressed above might prove to be more relevant
to UK and Australian sites and UK manufacturers.  I'd be more than happy to be
proved wrong if someone can demonstrate that this isn't the case for US-based
potters.