HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Efstathios I. Pappas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:09:20 -0500
Without seeing a photograph or the like it is difficult to be certain
but from your description this casing seems to be a .44 flat nose round
which was used in such lever action rifles as the Henry and Winchester
1866. Both these rifles used double firing pins located 180 degrees
 from each other in order to provide more consistent ignition of the
fulminate/ground glass mixture which was often imperfectly distributed
around the base of the cartridge. If there is any headstamp such as a
raised or impressed "H" this would further ease the identification and
provide a firmer date range for the manufacture of the round.  If you
would like to send a photo and some dimensions I would be happy to
further identify this for you.

 Stathi Pappas

 Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
 Doctoral Student