HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 13:08:29 -0500
Yep, still lurking,

As Sean noted, we did a bunch of CCC camp nventory surveys for the
Huron-Manistee National Forests in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula (1985-86).  Our
findings were conclusive in one respect ... With no exceptions, these camps
were run as military installations, with most, if not all trash being hauled
off-site for disposal.  The actual grounds of these camps were virtually
trash-free ... presumably carefully and regularly policed for trash.  Memory tells me
that several of these off-site dumps were relocated, but not by me.  John
Davis, archaeologist for the Huron-Manistee would be the person to contact

Mark C. Branstner
Great Lakes Research, Inc
210 E. Sherwood Road
Williamston, MI 48895