HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:23:48 -0600
1.  As anthropologists, we should be interested in the social aspects unfolding in the midst of this immensely tragic situation: the circumstances in which established ("acceptable") forms of social integration become dysfunctional and are replaced; the forms of replacement structures, or the apparent lack thereof; the natures of human interactions between individuals, and between individuals and larger corporate groups, including governing authorities; perceptions within the affected sub-community and community groups and within the surrounding society -- including those members of the surrounding society responsible for distribution of information (i.e., "the media") -- regarding behaviors and apparent associations with ethnicity, "race", or other social divisions; ad nauseum.  But . . .
2.  Clearly (or I hope it's clear), we are humans first and anthropologists after that, so we cannot allow ourselves to minimize the human tragedy(ies) as/if we indulge our anthropological interests.  We should hurt deeply that people are hungry and dehydrated and homeless and injured and ill and dead, and to the extent that we have nationalist leanings, that people in our nation are so suffering, and we should want to do something, as humans, to help relieve that suffering.  Still . . .
3.  I find it disturbingly interesting that so many folks (most of whom I presume, because of its venue, are anthropologically-minded) have responded to this blog by quickly and perjoratively jumping on what appears to be obvious -- that "the media" involved in disseminating the photographs equate black folks with looting and white folks with finding.  As anthropologists and archaeologists, we all know that context is everything -- otherwise that pretty pot is just a pretty pot.  It seems apparent that most of the responses on the blog assume that context has been established by presence of the photos and the captions.  However, as some folks point out, the same photos appear with different captions in other media settings.  Thus, context for the apparently racist captions is not well established, and, therefore, we should be darned careful about categorizing and interpreting those captions.  Now, as anthropologists, we know that, in fact, "the media" involved in disseminating those photos may, indeed, have attached (advertently or otherwise) racial interpretations to the images.  And that may be both interesting (anthropologically) and tragic (humanly).  Still . . .
4.  I also find it interesting -- and I suspect this situation is an example -- that anthropologists, who commonly see themselves as objective observers of human behavior, are, themselves, often so culture-bound that they cannot be objective about their own culture and society.  That is, we frequently cannot seem to apply the same "standards" (if, indeed, there are such -- oops, now I sound like a post-modernist) to our observations of our own sociocultural milieu(s) as we can to those of the folks we purport to study.  I know I am guilty of this, and most of my colleagues, those whom I know well, are, as well.  For instance, I am, understandably, relieved beyond description that my aunt, who lives in Biloxi, still lives in Biloxi.  In large measure, the fact that she survived this disaster is due to the fact that she has the financial means to have bought a house in one of the "high parts" of town (all 22 feet in elevation . . .) and to have installed hurricane shutters on the house.  I realize that many -- probably most -- of her fellow Biloxians were not so fortunate, and that, this being the South, many -- probably most -- of those folks are not reasonably well-off WASPs.  Still, I am VERY relieved and happy that her circumstances contributed to her survival, and I make no apologies for that.  Nonetheless . . .
5.  We portray our inability to be objective when we assume, without establishing context, that people are being racist, and that those racist interpretations extend to levels above individuals.  Of course, we know that such situations have and continue to exist (and always will); but we betray our purported professional objectivity -- and reveal both our humanity and our inhumanity -- when we assume the worst without knowing what needs to be known before making determinations, much less passing judgements.  Many members of our own larger sociocultural milieu(s) will be making those determinations and passing those judgements loud and often the coming days, weeks, months, and perhaps years -- one only has to turn on the news channels to see and hear them already.  As citizen anthropologists, we have a responsibility to bring what objectivity we can to the social and cultural aspects of this awful situation as it exists and as it unfolds before us, with the goal that ALL people impacted by this disaster, regardless of their "races", ethnicities, economic circumstances, and other socio-categorical characteristics, are treated with appropriate dignity as humans.

At least that's how I see it . . .

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Office of Archaeological Studies
P.O. Box 2087