HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:43:02 -0400
Your concern is laudable, but your comment that it is " too bad the
people recovery and food/medical delivery efforts don't match the
organization of the NPS artifact and document recovery teams" ignores
the fact that the NPS task is orders of magnitude smaller. It
ignores the complexity and scope of the problems inherent in disaster
operations. I have been involved in a number of disaster relief
operations including hurricanes and volcanoes. While planning is
great, each disaster is unique and poses different problems. My
impression is that the Federal government is doing a pretty good job
of getting the required assets (manpower and equipment) into the area
as fast as is possible. I am less impressed with the City of New
Orleans and Louisianna. Both appear to at best have had really
sketchy plans and to have lost control pretty fast (especially New
Orleans). Police, fire/rescue, and local disaster assets are the
first responders and need to do it quickly. The State and Feds can
only come in once there is some idea of what is needed and where it
is needed.

Consider for a start that before recover operations can even begin
you have to gain access to the area. Many of the roads are covered
with downed trees and power lines (some of which are still live). It
is not as if you can just drop in the 82D ABN and all will be well.

One major problem is communication. The use of the USS Bataan (LHD-5)
is just an example of why having a military around isn't a bad idea.
The ship not only has a flight deck and is providing a base for
search and rescue helos, but also has considerable hospital space
(second only to hospital ships) and extensive command and control
facilities (radios and telephones). It is a very quick way to
reestablish control in an area that has lost its infrastructure.
Other Navy and Coast Guard ships are also being used for many of the
same purposes, but lack the capabilities of the Bataan. At the same
time military units are moving in to assist in rescue, support, and
security. Keep in mind the military is not allowed to act as police
in the US.

I've worked with the military, NGOs, foreign governments, and FEMA on
hurricanes, volcanoes, bombings, refuges, etc. It may look
disorganized, and FEMA may be a bit slower than many would like, but
that is more appearance than substance. Mind you if you have no water
or food, are filthy dirty, scared, and its hot as hell you are not
likely to be very understanding of the problems inherent in disaster
operations.