From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:11:10 +0100
Richard Todd writes:

>A message I received from Polygram (Canada) today:
>
>Disappointing news....  the Shostakovich: Preludes and Fugues, op.87 with
>Olli Mustonen (Decca 433 055-2) was deleted November 21, 1996.  It is no
>longer available.

Wich proves that a distiller should not mess with music, or that the
Polygram office in Canada is fiercely incompetent coming to anything
but top 40:

#1: the CD bearing no. Decca 433 055-2, never ever featured any pieces
from op. 87, but from op. 34 (24 preludes, coupl.  w.  Alkans 24 preludes
op. 31 - This CD is still in the 1999 Decca international edition
catalogue, wich means that it will be obtaiable internationally)

#2: Mustonen has never recorded op. 87 for Decca/London

#3: Mustonen has recorded op. 87 for BMG/RCA (rel.  1999) - I Have only
listened to it brifely and is shows all Mustonens usual idiosyncrasities,
he is one who forces his own way.

>The complete cycle with Ashkenazy will be released on Decca (466
>066-2)  April 27 . . .

Which to my mind would be a nice addition to those availible and a
splendid birthday present for myself 8^) - Let's just hope that the people
at the Polygram office has not mixed music and alcohol in this issue and
that Ashkenazy has recorded the op. 87 for real...

Cheers
Peter Lundin
Gothenburg, Sweden