HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:41:36 -0700
From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
My computer crashed...The "water control feature" was in a lot in landfill where
there had been shipyards on the Lower Eastside of Manhattan (Grossman et al)
where the film "Batteries Not Included" had been filmed prior.  It was
connected to what were thought stone drainage channels as part of the
former house and filled with a dozen chamber pots, clay marbles and "abolition
coinage" minted to remind people to end slavery I suppose by showing up in
pockets or purses.

Also in what is known as "Alphabet City" due to the eastward placement of
streets past 1st or First Ave., the cardinal numbers for north south streets run
up as they go west, hence A, B, C, and D Avenues in Manhattan, they cover
what had been some important shipyards, one became a naval architecture
school, the Webb Institute on Long Island. That shipyard produced many
"cutting edge" vessels for foreign governments, our own, playing catchup later,
due to our "disinterest".

George Myers