HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:49:22 -0500
From:
"Hatchett, Jennifer C" <[log in to unmask]>
This is an interesting story.  In Britain, I believe the equivalent gesture involves the two first fingers (index and middle finger), in a gesture like a peace sign only facing the other direction (with the palm of the hand facing the person making the gesture).  This gesture supposedly developed because when longbows were the weapon of choice, the English would cut off those two fingers of French archers--thus the 2-finger gesture was a taunt against those who could no longer fight.  Similar story--I wonder if either one is true.

Jenni