HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:33:20 -0700
From:
Melissa Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Ron,
  A drift pin sounds interesting, but it still seems unlikely to me, because of the curved end. I would think that a drift pin, like a rail spike, would need to be hammered into place. But the curved top would make it hard to hammer this in where you wanted it to go. That's why I'm stumped. I can't figure out HOW it would be used, let alone for what?
  Meli

Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I have seen a similar object, which several sources identified as a drift
pin. They have many uses, but were intended for temporarily holding something in
place and then being pulled out at a later time. The one I had came from a
ship's rudder and was similar in size. What was the historic context of your
item?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 9/10/2008 8:31:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,