HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:42:05 -0700
From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I know I am usually on the answering end of bottle questions, but I don't have a clue as to the answer to this one.  Hopefully, someone else out there will know.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Lockhart

Bill:

I recently recorded a small historic trash scatter in Elmore County,
Idaho, with several whole bottles on it.  Two of the bottles were small, dark brown, round bottles with threaded closures with metal lids.  They measure 1 1/4" in diameter by 2 5/16" tall.  They appear to possibly be veterinary medicine bottles.  The metal lids have a circular hollow center that closed with a rubber diaphragm that allows a hypodermic needle to be inserted into the neck of the bottle to draw up the contents.

The rest of the scatter provides some curiously mixed dates.

Do you or any of your group of bottle experts know when those diaphragm lidded bottles first started being produced?

Thanks for the help.

Shane Baker
Idaho Power Company