HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:54:20 -0500
From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
geoff,

guess what ... the U.S. "officially" switched to the metric system in 1975

but only liquor bottlers converted (and only because the feds have them by the shorthairs due to the alcohol revenue tax-stamp bully-boy situation) ... the rest of us true 'Mericans ignored it (like we do with any assinine law we don't like ... what seeks to Frenchify us)

~ bob

ps - we still refer to our favourite size bottles of whiskey as "fifths" ... not 750ml

pps - The Metric Conversion Act of 1975 (Public Law 94-168) passed by Congress. The Metric Act established the U.S. Metric Board to coordinate and plan the increasing use and voluntary conversion to the metric system. However, the Metric Act was devoid of any target dates for metric conversion.