HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 09:56:12 -0600
From:
Catherine Spude <[log in to unmask]>
In Skagway, Alaska in the very early 20th century, folks moved buildings quite often simply by jacking them up, putting them on as many wagons as it took and pulling them off to the lot where they wanted to put the new building. They had to move quite a few buildings in the first few weeks as the main trail through town cut across the town grid system and main buildings had to be realigned. As photography was quite common by that time, the process is well-documented.

Buildings that did not need to be moved very far were set on rollers, men put their backs into the job and simply pushed it the few feet it took.

Cathy

Catherine H. Spude, PhD
Montana Dawn, Enterprises
7 Avenida Vista Grande #145
Santa Fe, NM 87508
505-466-1476 home
505-913-1326 cell

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire." Jenny Yates and Garth Brooks.