HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:52:15 -0500
8bit
From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Carl,

Thanks for the excellent webpage reference. I was aware of the exceedingly
rare "reddish" Hemingrays, but always thought these were produced about WWI
or afterward. They were apparently available as early as 1909, but I think
the article makes it clear just how improbable it was that many were sold.
They not only cost $8 per thousand extra to produce, but they had a specific
purpose which was to distinguish one company's lines from others
(color-coding) on poles where a profusion of electrical lines may have
existed alongside the railroads (for example, in large cities like San
Francisco, New York and London). I hardly think such conditions ever existed
in the Australian outback or the wilds of Arizona where the Apache resided
post-1900.

~ Bob Skiles