HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:56:26 -0400
From:
Timothy Renner <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
It is indeed a very interesting debate that (fortunately) has gone far
beyond the original, somewhat self-serving questions that I posed.  But
the problem with putting someone in an archaeology department is that in
the U.S. one has to find, or create, such a department first--since
archaeology departments here are very, very few.  Generally the most
that one can do, in my own experience at Montclair, is to try to create
a working group or interdepartmental faculty committee that brings
archaeologists together for a number of purposes and helps to mitigate
the box-like qualities of traditional academic departments.