HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barbara Voss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:48:09 -0700
Dear HistArch'ers,

New student research papers on the Market Street Chinatown, in San
Jose, California, are now available for download on our project website:

http://marketstreet.stanford.edu/2007/04/student_research_projects_2006.html

The research projects were all developed by students enrolled in
"Laboratory Methods in Archaeology," taught at the Stanford
Archaelogy Center in Winter 2007. They cover diverse topics related
to 19th century Chinese immigrant life in California, from hair
tonics and dental hygiene to religious practices, dolls, restaurants,
and utilitarian ceramics. Titles are listed below, and each paper is
available as a downloadable PDF at the URL above.

Thanks especially to all the HistArch'ers who assisted with artifact
identification and interpretation during the past few months. We
appreciate your generosity and interest in our research!

Sincerely,
Barb Voss

Market Street Chinatown Archaeological Project
Winter 2007 Student Research Projects

    * Jocelyn Brabyn, "Stoneware in the Market Street Chinatown: A
Comparative Analysis"

    * Stephanie Cruz, " 'Life and Vigor to the Hair': Grooming
Practices of the Market Street Chinatown Residents"

    * Bear Douglas, "Race, Class, and Teeth: Dental Hygiene in the
Market Street Chinatown"

    * Rachel Engmann, "Ceramic Dolls and Figurines, Citizenship and
Consumer Culture in Market Street Chinatown, San Jose"

    * Megan S. Kane, "Incense and Candlesticks: Fire Ritual in
Household and Small Scale Religious Practices at the Market Street
Chinatown, San Jose"

    * Jessica Yuan, "Dining Out in Chinatown: Uncovering the
Archaeological Attributes of a Historical Overseas Chinese Restaurant"

Barbara L. Voss, Assistant Professor
Department of Cultural and Social Anthropology
Main Quad Bldg 110
Stanford University
Stanford, California 94305-2145
phone:  650-725-6884