HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:14:38 -0600
From:
Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Vauban was a Napoleonic era military engineer who designed fortifications.
Before the American Civil War, variations of his work were being taught to
military engineers at West Point hence many Civil War era fortifications are
variations of Vauban's designs taught primarily by Dennis Hart Mahan
(1802-1871), American soldier and educator.  Mahan graduated from West Point
in 1824 and from that year until about 1871 spent his career in France
studying public works and institutions, Mahan taught civil and military
engineering at the Military Academy as the recognized American authority on
military engineering, Mahan wrote texts long considered as standard. As a
member of the academic board he also contributed greatly to the development
of education at West Point. His works include Complete Treatise on Field
Fortifications (1836), Summary on the Cause of Permanent Fortifications and
of the Attack and Defense of Permanent Works (1850), and An Elementary
Course of Military Engineering (2 vol., 1866-67). He trained most Federal
and Confederate engineers.

dan allen
Cumberland Research Group, Inc.