HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:09:10 -0600
inline
If you can find copies:

Oregon Historical Society, Manuscripts Collection
1230 Southwest Park Avenue
Portland, OR 97205
Timberman Magazine
1864–1964, 1930–1955
17,487 photographic prints; 300 negatives
George M. Cornwall (1867–1950) began publishing The Timberman in 1899
as "a journal devoted to the lumber interests of Oregon." He produced
an illustrated monthly magazine covering all aspects of the timber
industry, including logging operations, forestry practices,
transportation, lumber operation, and wood products manufacture. The
name became The Timberman in 1904, and geographical focus expanded to
the Pacific Northwest. Upon Cornwall's death in 1950, his son, George
F. Cornwall, and long-time staff member, Edgar P. Hoerner, became
co-publishers. In 1955, Miller Freeman Publications acquired an
interest in the magazine. However, The Timberman remained unchanged in
scope and content until 1957, when Miller Freeman purchased the
remaining shares and directed that The Timberman specialize in woods
management, logging, forestry, and transportation. In 1962, The
Timberman was combined with The Lumberman and Woods Industries to form
Forest Industries.

There are articles on Steam Donkeys, Bridge building and everything
else you can thin of in the Northwest Timber Industry.

Smoke

--
Smoke Pfeiffer

Absence of Evidence is NOT Evidence of Absence