From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:04:55 -0500
Hello All,

>The other factor may be smaller populations in feral colonies.

The "live and let die" method of selecting for bees which tolerate varroa
( basically what has happened in true feral colonies) also seems ( my
opinion after five years of research) to select bees which are less prolific
and winter on smaller clusters.

After years of research it has been almost impossible to find varroa
tolerance to a decent degree in a prolific bee. The first thing you notice
when you look at a yard of Russians or survivors in winter  is small
clusters (very small) and in early spring slow buildup (which is mostly
related to the small winter cluster).

I have been able to trick the Russians into a larger winter cluster by
placing the hives on a strong fall flow but when I do not then small winter
clusters are the rule which leads to a slow spring buildup for our area. The
same has been true with all varroa tolerant bees I have tested. Small winter
clusters and not prolific *for our area*.

Perhaps in time through breeding a prolific Russian which is varroa tolerant
will emerge. Maybe already has and I have not yet seen those queens & bees.
I am supposed to get some Russian queens (25) to test next spring from a
queen breeder involved with the Russian program from the start. From his
best lines so maybe I will see *in my opinion* a better suited commercial
bee for my area.

Prolific is a must for those which keep bees for a living *in my opinion*but
prolific does not help when trying to find varroa tolerance (especially late
in the season).

Others may see things differently but I have spent years with the Russian
bees.

If you are a hobby beekeeper then not a problem. If a honey producer or
pollination beekeeper a big problem. Prolific and at least a somewhat larger
cluster is what I need so although I still keep varroa tolerant untreated
yards I have moved back to prolific bees which need treatment as needed.

As I have said on BEE-L before I never dropped my prolific Italian lines
while searching for a varroa tolerant bee!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison