From:
Eugene Makovec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:09:01 -0600
Eugene Makovec
Newsletter Editor
Missouri State Beekeepers Association
-----Original Message-----
"What I am about to say is very controversial, some would say hearsay ..."

It's more than hearsay. We've known for quite some time that terra patties
breed resistance by staying in the hive for an extended period, giving a
reduced dose over a long period rather than a full dose up front. Add to
that the fact that it's common practice to treat "preventively", and Lloyd
is correct -- we beekeepers have brought AFB resistance upon ourselves.

This is similar to the problem we have with human bacterial nemeses becoming
resistant to antbiotics. For years doctors have prescribed these medicines
for cold symptoms and the like (even over the phone), "just in case" they
turn into something worse. And now we have people dying in hospitals from
staph infections that are resistant to everything we throw at them.

Eugene Makovec
Kirkwood, MO