HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Catherine Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:56:31 -0700
Not good. South's categories won't work well with an industrialized material culture of the twentieth century. Too much glass, not as much ceramics, more nails and metals survive and an incredibly complex material culture reflecting an incredibly complex, hierachical industrialized society.

South's taxonomy was developed for a British Colonial, 18th century complex. Bit of a difference, there. It was not constructed to tackle the types of problems you want to handle in your analysis of early 20th century materials.

You can read about it my dissertation:

Blee, Catherine Holder
1991  Sorting Functionally Mixed Artifact Assemblages with Multiple Regression: A Comparative Study in Historical Archaeology.  Doctoral dissertation, Department of Anthropology, University of Colorado, Boulder.  University Microfilms International, Ann Arbor, MI.

I have a much more recent discussion and update of the problems associated with using South's taxonomy in Appendix D of my most recent publication,

Spude, Catherine Holder

2006   Appendix D: The Multiple Regression Analysis. In The Mascot Saloon: Archeological Investigations in Skagway, Alaska, Volume 10.  National Park Service, Anchorage, AK.

This report is available free by writing to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and asking for a copy. You don't need to use the types of statistics I advocate to understand the need for a more sophisticated approach to classification than that advocated by South.

The bottom line is that I advocate a slight variation of Sprague's taxonomy, which makes more allowance for the huge variability that accompanied the industrial revolution, not only with its explosion in material culture, but also with its resulting specialization in economic function.  I maintain that if you use Sprague's method of classifying artifacts, you will be able to adapt it to whatever analytical problems you eventually design, even if you haven't come up with those questions yet. South doesn't work for the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

If you are interested in following up, contact me off-line for a draft of an essay that will appear in an academic book within the next year, which explores the subject even further.

Cathy

Catherine H. Spude, PhD
Montana Dawn, Enterprises
7 Avenida Vista Grande #145
Santa Fe, NM 87508
505-466-1476 home
505-913-1326 cell

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire." Jenny Yates and Garth Brooks.